„Český díplom” is an attempt to look at the Czechoslovak history of the twentieth century through the story of several extraordinary figures from its culture and politics. Short stories, scarcely fragments of biography, show us the Czech world and its complicated history in various, often tragicomic, colours.
These stories of extraordinary characters – eccentric artists, people crushed by the communist system, revolutionaries – try to undermine the stereotype of Czechoslovakia as an idyllic land of good-natured people spending their lives in the tavern, drinking beer and eating dumplings. By observing the Czechoslovak history and mentality, attempting to understand it, we try to see our social condition in the reflecting mirror.
Marta Kubisova – a popular singer devastated by the system, Lida Baarova – an actress collaborating with the Nazis, Otokar Svec – a miserable author of the largest monument of Stalin in Europe, Jan Palach – a political suicide, a burning torch and even a Blonde from the film Loves of a Blonde are just some of the described characters of the Czechoslovak world. Moreover, this is a diploma… „Český díplom”… And it is the most important… Ahoj!
120 minutes (no break)
- Best Actor, Best Director, Audience Award and Youth Jury Award at the 17th Contemporary Drama Festival of „Reality Presented” in Zabrze
- Best Debut Distinction for the entire acting team in the „The Best 2017” and „The Best 2018 Ranking of „Theatre” Magazine
- Jury of Journalists Distinction at the 42nd Opole Theatre Confrontations / „Living Classics”
- Audience Award at the 13th Festival of Polish Contemporary Arts „R@Port” in Gdynia
- Finalist of the 24th Polish National Competition for the Exhibition of Polish Contemporary Art
- „Golden Mask 2018” Artistic Award - Best Acting Team for excellent, full of freshness and vitality both collective and individual acting.
DIRECTION & MUSICAL ARRANGEMENT:
DIRECTION OF FORM:
DRAMATURGY OF MOVEMENT:
SET & COSTUME DESIGN:
DIRECTOR’S ASSISTANT :
Wiktoria Czubaszek (as a quest)
Helena Hajkowicz (as a quest)
Kaja Kozłowska (as a quest)
Joanna Kowalska (as a quest)
Anna Taraszkiewicz (as a quest)
Mikołaj Bańdo (as a quest)
Kornel Sadowski (as a quest)
Tomasz Tywoniuk (as a quest)
Jędrzej Wielecki (as a quest)
17th February 2018, MODELATORNIA STAGE
THE MEDIA ABOUT PERFORMANCE
Český díplom’ is radiating with energy of young actors. The audience gets a great doze of distance to the world. It’s a huge pleasure watching all the students in their separate roles (it’s very difficult to favour anyone, everyone is doing an excellent job) as well as their acting skills in ensemble.
Magda Piekarska, Gazeta Wyborcza – Wrocław
The entire acting team deserve great applause. Both in terms of individual performances and collective play. The actors showed courage and great skills. Unfeigned vitality, authenticity and freshness had a huge impact on the rhythm of the event. Hit jokes entertain the audience to tears. At the same time, balancing humor and a reflective, serious layer of the show remains a huge advantage. Český díplom is a lot of fun, a dose of historical curiosities about our neighbors and an invitation to discuss the condition of our society. Everything served in a light form that should appeal to a wide audience.
Katarzyna Majewska, Dziennik Teatralny Opole